The World Affairs Councils of America is delighted to announce the Liaison America Trent Argo International Scholarship for a 30- day study tour in Brazil for one lucky student ambassador. This scholarship will be an immersive experience in culture, language, education, and international affairs in the city of Goiânia, one of the richest agricultural districts and a key player in the production of sugar, rum, coffee, tobacco, cotton, cattle, hides, and castor oil. Goiânia is located the state of Goiás, where Brasília, the capital of Brazil, is also located. Goiás is a strong, well-structured state that is growing both socially and economically.
The scholarship recipient will have the opportunity to meet with university students, business and government leaders, and others who are making a positive change locally and globally.
This experience will include:
Living Like a Local
· Be accompanied by a college-aged chaperone
· Live with a host family (includes accommodations and meals)
· Take Portuguese language lessons
· Experience the natural beauty of Brazil’s parks, outdoor recreation, and engage in the culture through food, music, dance, and folklore
· Shadow university students studying international affairs or other topics related to the recipient’s area of study
· Meet with faculty and university international affairs officers and representatives from Education USA
Understanding Government Relations
· Meet with the Secretary of Education
· Learn about Brazil’s approach to immigration and border control
· Learn about the role of the consulates and embassies
· Discover the political role of agri-business and its impact locally and globally
With this announcement, we welcome submissions including a letter of recommendation. Council leaders: please publicize and share with your local networks and educational partners. We expect to announce the winner on March 22, 2019.
Read all scholarship details here.